Saturday, April 13, 2019

Modern Menswear

I went to brunch yesterday with my friend Greg and stopped by Mast, a bookstore in the East Village that was brimful of amazing vintage books on art as well as a lot of artsy homoerotica. They had issues of vintage GQ from the late 50s early 60s, and I bought one with the amasing artwork of Harlan Krakowitz. I was surprised because the illustration style is something I already channel, but I thought I was refining Rene Gruau to something simpler (i,e, not as good, because Gruau is a master). Turns out, I might have imbibed the style from other illustrations through the years, but my mind tends to work by absorbing then forgetting the reference (or so I'm discovering).


Anyhow, directly inspired by the vintage illustrations, I sought to do one in my current iteration of it, but as modern as possible. To wit, a highly editorial African model in the vein of Fernando Cabral.


No comments: