Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Jil Sander SS2011


While I was on Style.com I decided to revisit my favorite collection from last Spring, Jil Sander. I haven't loved Raf Simons' menswear like I used to, and when he went over to Jil Sander, I didn't respond to his menswear either. However, I find myself falling in love with his womenswear season after season since his first collection for Sander. He really gets the purity of form that Jil stood for, and takes it further. I wanted to render one of the now-iconic peplum outfits he designed, but got waylaid by just doing a really simple face based on the runway makeup (with a few more pinks added in for good illustrative measure). This one was done using Painter's waxy crayon tool, which created interesting soft blending effects especially when layered over another color. I'm gonna explore this tool a bit more.

This particular model, whose name I do not know off-hand, has tiny lips in relation to the rest of her facial features...

1 comment:

Pippa said...

Completely agree with his connection to Jil Sander's original work:) Beautiful illustration!