Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Flat Top

Hot new R&B singer, Janelle Monae is sporting a flat-top fade that I haven't seen on a black woman since about 1987, when I fell in love with the style for a black mannequin I wanted to buy for our boutique back in Manila. "Amalia" was African, I think, and a top runway model in Paris who lent her face to D.G.William's mannequin roster. I used to stare at the catalog, hoping to purchase her (and I eventually convinced my aunts to do so) and I loved her complete look, flat top and all. Fashion takes 20 year cycles for styles to recycle, and it's almost exactly that now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, i remember Amalia! she was the only black mannequin in manila back then. is she still there at NYorker?

George G said...

She should be, but the bigger question is, is New Yorker still there?!?!

Nastassia said...

Lovely! Beautiful work.