Monday, December 14, 2009

Fabric Unfurling

So funny- some things apparently never change. I've been drawing fabric unfurling on a figure for the third of the Mass series, and I noticed how much my rendering style hasn't changed that much in 20 years. I know because I have a drawing from back in 1984 /college that has the same kind of shaping and linework. Although to be fair, since I'm working on a tablet, my linework isn't as smooth as I can get it when I'm slaving over a sheet with a technical pen, and I did want this new drapery to be a bit less rounded and more "crunchy" and squared off, like they were less satiny and had a bit more body. Still, the way I put the lines down were very familiar. Hunh. Guess I could either say I was good at it back then, or my abilities haven't grown a whit in two decades...


a detail from a fantasy-based illustration I did back in April of 1984:

5 comments:

Joanie said...

I'm going with you were really good back then and you're still really good now.

"Kre8tiv Fiend" said...

WoW! the idea is sick!

Unknown said...

hey george, i remember this! is this tech pen?

George G said...

Yes, tech pen and watercolor wash. O, di ba? 26 years old now.

Unknown said...

oh wow! i wish i knew where my drawings are... when i got married i think my family accidentally got rid of some of my stuff.