Monday, November 4, 2013

Caper 2

At the back of my mind, using Photoshop tricks like nudging or cutting and pasting linework seems like cheating, but I have to remind myself that I'm a digital artist, and these are the digital tools at my disposal. I'm still using my own hand for lines and painting.

With this portrait, for instance, I'm so unfamiliar with the model Noma's features (this is my first time to draw him) that even with a photo reference I'm way off the likeness and you can see gaps in the lines from where I cut and nudged things. If I were using natural media, I'd have to erase the whole thing and redraw, which always fills me with fear I will erase what's right about a drawing. The forgiving quality of digital work is what draws me to it, as overworked media aren't a problem. Overwrought work, however, is still a potential issue...

No comments: