Thursday, October 26, 2017

Inktober 25—Ariel

My friend Justin asked me to redesign/re-imagine a costume I designed back when I was a teenager in high school, and I've come up with so many variations, from gritty, darker versions to completely out-of-character (for the proposed character) outfits that I've been thinking a lot about where to go with the asymmetrical parameters of the original. And it hit me that Kitty Pryde's code name then was Ariel, and a spacey, neo-futuristic outfit with no practical considerations whatsoever made more sense. It's supposed to be a fantasy, so go with something that's hopefully fantastic. So the impractical cutouts are exactly that, impractical, but this is supposed to be a futuristic fantasy, why ground it in reality too much? Besides, the concession to current athletic gear design (I based the style lines and seam work on the kinds of things you see on skintight, rather super-heroic athletic gear nowadays) is reality enough, I think.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

George, I will never be able to thank you enough for this. I really needed to see Kitty’s Kostume Korner come full circle. And you delivered it in such an unexpected and imagination-sparking way! I remain in awe of your raw talent and expert craftsmanship. I truly value you.