Friday, December 29, 2017

Current Mood, Done

Current Mood
I did the first sketch of the young man shortly after the presidential elections concluded last year, when my frustration and fears were so overwhelming I didn’t know what to do. So I drew. It’s a bit on the nose, but the feeling of drowning felt apt. I didn’t finish it initially, because it was too frustrating to think about, and honestly I hoped that feeling would go away, that the situation would improve. But as the year progressed the attacks just mounted and spread: on Women. Blacks. Transgenders. Gays. Muslims. The Poor. The Middle Class. Science. The Environment… it just seemed to go on and on. The mood might lighten some days but it was always there, it was always the Current Mood. So I would go back, and draw some more, until it became a series, a triptych. It seems appropriate to post this today, a few days before the year ends. I hope the mood changes, for the better.

No comments: