Saturday, June 21, 2008

Wasp Croquis

I decided to google artist Adam Hughes last night. Looking through his website, I got a feeling of dread, fearing that I'm a terrible artist as I compared myself to him (I'm sure quite a few artists and designers can relate when we see someone's work that we like, and we start to loathe our own work for not being at such a level). But going through quite a few videos on YouTube about how he draws at Comic Conventions, I realized that I don't spend enough time on my sketches like he does, and if I really devoted myself to them, I wouldn't necessarily match him (his work is awe inspiring), but I would feel more satisfied with my own work. And frankly, I was happy to see that he erased a lot - I tend to commit pretty easily to my lines and forms, although I'm no stranger to reworking a drawing either. This croquis for what was supposed to be a drawing of the Wasp for CBR, has AH hair - he has a specific way that he draws hair and unfurling fabric that is so dynamic and borders on Alphonse Mucha-esque art nouveau... although it looks weird on this really static pose.

No comments: