Saturday, July 19, 2008

Inky

Somewhere along the way, I got it in my head that realistic renditions were my default. The irony is that I love stylization, and as a child I used to copy the styles of other artists I admired, versus trying to make my work look more real. That's what was kind of missing from this drawing's previous incarnation: I had the image of the woman in my head, but not the image of the final drawing. It started to come to me as I would pass my copy of Pourquois Pas (the first ever magazine devoted to fashion illustration) that I left out on a side table, and then moreso as I started to work her hair. I wanted to do a high contrast-y drawing, which I didn't initially do because I spent too much time trying to draw from the woman in my head and not towards the sketch idea in my mind. This stylization comes inspired by the inky, vector-like linework of Stephane Manel (yet again!). I like how she feels kinda soft and fleshy, even if I didn't have any reference for this sketch and just drew it from my mind (which is easy to tell since her legs are about 8 feet long).

3 comments:

Amperes said...

wow, i really enjoy her pose and the expression on her face, it's so intense. would you consider posting your drawings on ShutterCal.com? it's a site designed specifically with this sort of project in mind.... right now, it's mostly photographers, but it would be great if you would post a drawing a day!

George G said...

Thanks amperes. I do so here anyhow (well, at least, I have a corresponding drawing per day, sometimes I post them en masse after the fact). But after reading the About ShutterCal section, that site seems dedicated specifically only to Photographers, so I don't know how appropos it would be. Thanks for the invite though! :)

Amperes said...

well, the site is aimed mostly at photographers, but we are trying to incorporate other types of 365 projects... ShutterCal used to have a member named DrawingMan, he did a digital drawing everyday, but wasn't able to keep up with the daily grind. I understand your hesitation in joining, but I would be giving up too easily if I didn't ask you to reconsider. Even though the community is mostly photographers, some showcase their other artistic endeavors from time to time and they are all very supportive...