Sunday, September 7, 2008

Uptown, Dowtown

There are so many rules about what to wear and what not to wear, unspoken codes among the fashion tribes of New York that it can be daunting to try and forge your own way. Among my friends I tend to push the envelope because it's who I am, but I fall prey to wanting to make the right impression anyhow. So it was quite evident to me that I had to dress one way for a work event (no matter how fashionable I'm supposed to be as the Creative Director) and shifting to another entirely different outfit for a later fashion afterparty. It is Fashion Week after all.
I wore a vintage vest inside out and belted it over an old brown John Bartlett l/s shirt and gray CCP pants, over a pair of very forward (because they're so conservative looking) Margiela laceless round-toed blugers. For all intents and purposes it was a conservative (for me) look, but not so much if you recognized the brands. Afterwards I ditched the belt and switched the l/s for a brown tee and drkshdw jeans, but kept the inside-out vest and Margielas. I rolled up one of my sleeves both because of the heat and for effect, and funnily enough, nearly all the guys at the party had their sleeves rolled up similarly (well, save for me being one-sided). Everyone at the fashion party was nearly a decade or more younger than me, and I felt odd even if they never seemed to let on whether or not I fit in. And, well, alcohol helps.

No comments: