Thursday, September 9, 2010

"Lifestyle"


I've decided why I don't like the 'fashion illustrations' I have to make for work: because the drawings are being done for a mass market, and the brand they're being applied to really isn't fashion at all, I have to draw what, to the public at large, reads as "fashion." Ugh. At that point, it really isn't fashion, it's "Lifestyle," which roughly translates to happy images of women in easily understood outfits that are neither hip nor forward, but contemporary enough for non-fashion people to interpret as fashion. In other words, water it down, George. I know I have to. And this is the result. My pseudo Mats Gustafson technique.

Edit: Her body is all wrong for fashion. It's almost super-hero-y in the size of her torso!

2 comments:

OrĂ¡culo said...

I believe that the type of design used in fashion is nothing but helpful to the fashion market, it is not something tied to fashion, fashion is fashion, design is design.
I hope I have said something that makes sense XD

www.harmoniaemamarelo.blogspot.com

George G said...

Hmm, you're really not making much sense at all to me. Fashion design is still design, but I'm not talking about design, this is illustration.