Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Joey

I had my first lucid dream that I can remember, about my baby brother Joey. Of course, he wouldn't be much of a baby now, but he died before he turned 30, so he'll always be young in my mind. It was a strange dream.

I found myself in the old hallway going to the bedroom Joey and I shared in our childhood home in Manila. Everything was pitch black, and I was kind of afraid. I entered my old room which was also cloaked in near total darkness, then like a movie, a slight illumination focused on where Joey's bed used to be. I could see the mosquito netting over his bed, the netting we used pretty much all the way until we all left for the States. Joey was inside the netting on his bed, and he sat up, and put on a shirt. I immediately knew it was him, although he appeared to be the age he'd be if he were still alive. I was also aware how much this was a dream, one of those rare conscious moments while asleep. I called out his name and told him how we weren't always the closest of brothers but that I missed him, but he didn't respond. Instead, we both got distracted by a mouse playing amidsts some toys at the foot of his bed, and when he activated something by remote control to turn on some of the other toys, I woke up.

1 comment:

Joanie said...

the mood of the drawing fits the somber tone of the dream.

I'm sorry about your brother