Monday, June 4, 2012

Astral 2

Part of the fun of doing a new drawing is that you can take it anywhere you want. Part of the fun of a digital drawing is that those possibilities are endlessly reconfigurable. I wanted to focus on the hair for this piece, and while trying to define the pose I eliminated a lot of the extra lines that actually gave the intermediary sketch life, and now it's much more still and  serene... which also accounts for the color choices I made. I love the idea of this navy hair and linework against cerulean and pale clay, but I'm not sure this is what the final piece should be. I suppose that's the problem when the initial idea is: a sketch about a woman with a Sonia Rykiel/Rei Kawakubo hairdo. Now it looks like I wanted to make something vaguely Egyptian, which is too expected of that hair...

No comments: