Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Peekaboob

I do believe this is done! After months of back and forth, I think this is at a stage where I can say it's done. Of course, I might go back into it and clean up some lines, but as I spent a lot of time cleaning up the lines tonight, I also spent a lot of time undoing the cleaner lines, because sometimes the path-straight edges lost all the life of my lines for me. The most obvious is that I changed the hair: I wanted a blonde helmet, but I also wanted a bit more energy than the fines lines I initially went with gave it.. It's a very subjective thing, and in that sense I won't be as precise as Patrick Nagel, not just because I can't, but because it's not right for me to be! Wow, this is almost a revelation. Does that mean I favor my own lines??

"Peekaboob" was the original title for this, for obvious reasons. The pose is all about S curves blending into each other, hopefully with the right amount of awkwardness to make it feel current. I also wanted a Nagel-like flatness, eschewing even highlights in the eyes and lips like I did in a similar rendering here.

1 comment:

George G said...

I can see all my influences for this one: Patrick Nagel for the pin-up composition and flat, solid colors which are also very Japanese anime, fashion editorials for the pose, comics for the think-and-thin outline line work...