Tuesday, April 22, 2008

New Anime

It must be a new anime season in Japan because there are so many new anime series online. One of my favorite new ones is something cryptically called xxxHolic Kei, which seems to be about a magic wish-granter named Yuuko and her employee who seems to have lost his eye. Anyhow, this anime isn't your typical fare, as the renderings are so stylized they look to my eye like Western versions of Japanese anime, redone by Japan. And the intro is Japanese Jazz Fusion, with a hint of Klimt. How's that for post-modern?

Yuuko is a gorgeously blasé character who's always changing her costumes and doing odd magical things. I had to try and draw her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some great anime series I have seen some of them. Noticed u used to draw anime I did as well :)

George G said...

I think anyone who likes comics will probably have an affinity for anime, and I certainly am one of them!