Sunday, March 1, 2009

Revisiting

The nice thing about digital media is you can go back again and again to retool things, experiment, or just plain go apeshit. I opened up and touched up yesterday and a couple of days back's faces, just to play. I like how the Kate-inspired face fleshed out, esp. since it's an made-up piece with no reference. I ran across a few drawings by comics great Adam Hughes, and he likes to sculpt out noses with color, so I tucked that technique away in my head to try for later. It's a nice technique to use. Makes me think of how actress Sarah Michelle Gellar's nose is so full of planes and facets.

2 comments:

Joanie said...

I really like how you make hair seem so alive. It becomes almost a second character in all your work. It was my single greatest challenge when I was deep into drawing, but only because I could never develop enough control over individual strands, nor could I properly group tresses so that they'd seem lively and realistic (which was my "style" at the time). I'm going to try something different this time around, taking a page from your book and work on flowing hair.

GW said...

The first one really grabs me. I'm learning a lot about technique from reading your descriptions and seeing how they've been applied in each example Great blog!