Friday, March 27, 2009

Leaning

Facial foreshortening is always tricky, but when I'm just drawing line by line (as in, I'm not really planning a particular drawing) every other line is reactive until the image forms, and before I knew it she was looking up. I always have trouble getting everything to angle right, mostly I think because I was never taught anatomy so I draw by mentally tracing the outlines of someone's shape, facial or otherwise... and not building from an understanding of the skeleton on outwards.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the nose that always gets me. I can usually get the angle and the eyes mostly right, but the nose just mucks it all up.

George G said...

Yeah, the nose is always so pivotal. I hate it when things don't match up, angle-wise, from feature to feature. Then it becomes a case which do I change? And what might ruin it if I like how I drew things individually and have to change anything. It's hard liking individual features... just not with each other.