Saturday, February 21, 2009

Shuttle Chic

I was on the S shuttle on the way to the Times Square subway station, and I saw this woman riding in the same train. I liked her coat: it had a high collar, was a great taupe-y loden-y color, was puffy and down-filled, but it was cut like a dress, with a bowed belt and a full, knee length skirt. It was a very quiet look but the silhouette was really fresh, and she looked very nonchalant but chic, complimenting the coat with black tights, black high-heeled loafers and a clean bucket tote. I drew a quick sketch of the details on a card I had in my bag, and am now translating it here.

edit: After looking at this one, I decided the Sidewalk gal I previously drew could benefit from a solid background as well, so I threw one on her.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
I've actually been following your blog for a while now, and, though you've certainly impressed me before, i wanted to say that i really love the clean look that is illustrated in this sketch.
I'm a fashion design/studio art student (or hope to be in the near future) so i really appreciate this awesome interpretation of someone's outfit!
btw, I think i saw that jacket in the new S/S 09 H&M line.

George G said...

Thanks Zack - your comment is much appreciated. I've been trying to revisit and recapture the fashioon illustration style that I had 20 years ago, when I took classes at FIT one summer. Glad you like it - it's a bit less editorial and more catalog-y, but that's what I liked about doing them this way.

And it would be interesting if that was an SS09 H&M coat she was wearing, but it was a down coat, so I'm thinking it might not have been Spring! :)

Unknown said...

oh the fashion benefits of living in a temperate country... :-)

George G said...

You know it, Jo!

By the way, do you think these look like my old New Yorker sketches?

Joanie said...

Oh to be younger and thinner and be able to pull off a Shuttle Chic coat like that! Then again, when I WAS younger and thinner, I had no sense of style and wouldn't have had the guts to try.

Love the drawings! They make me smile.