Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sketch Session



I visited my old school, FIT, to attend a sketching/drawing salon held every Sunday night by a professor with whom I'm acquainted. It's an interesting setup compared to the erotic drawing salons I'd participated in in the past (where I met most of the artists in tonight's group). They have two models, a draped female fashion model and a male physique model, and they often pose at the same time but not in tandem, so you chose who you wanted to draw. After this week's Stavrinos inspiration, I wanted to sketch fashion again, even if I don't really know what my style is nowadays. Well, interestingly enough, a new one spontaneously emerged, more fluid and sketchier than I've ever had before. I did quite a few sketches tonight, and I even did some watercolors, which I haven't touched in aaaaages! I kept most save for two, as I gave each model one of themselves.



The female model Tabitha was amazing: she had such a perfect body for fashion, Steven, the professor, was saying she looked like a living croquis... and she certainly did! And on top of that she was ultra sweet, so even if i didn't want to part with any of my drawings of her, I gave her the portrait I did of her face, keeping all the fashion sketches. It was just too easy to draw fashion proportions on her, and I surprised myself by applying my normally sketchy colored pencil style to a fashion illustration proportion, but maintaining the long, lean quality of the limps and positioning. I normally try to clean everything up but for some reason it felt right to just leave everything really sketchy, which I don't think I've ever done before. This might be my real fashion illustration style!


Meanwhile, the guy, Pablo, was equally amazing, with a long lean body and completely defined muscles, but in a way that was still very fluid. He has the kind of body I wish I had (whether as me, or on me... I'm not picky! ;) )


None of these drawings are amazing pieces of art, but they were definitely fun practice, which I've been yearning for for a while. Plus, none of poses were particularly long - the fashion croquis were 5 minutes, so I was working fairly fast. The last time I went to this session I wasn't too pleased with the models nor my work, but hopefully this will spur me to go back and develop these skills which have atrophied for so long...

6 comments:

oj hofer said...

B R A V I S S I M O ! ! ! !


I'M DROOLING WITH ENVY. this are beautiful sketches giorgio..

George G said...

Salamat, Oj! I hope to make better ones with more practice, pero it was soooo fun to sketch fashion style, and so fast... in order to get the proper strength and confidence of line. I think the only time I really got that was when I'd draw her arms and legs, which is why generally, if you look, the lines are obviously very quickly put down and shaped without more than one stroke...

mister jones said...

Amazing work, George! Attenuated but very descriptive linework. Beautiful! Bravissimo indeed!

George G said...

Thank you thank you!

Unknown said...

I LOVE THESE!!!

Fluid, sketchy, form with motion/energy even when the poses are still. LOVE the loose watercolors!!

George G said...

Thanks Justin - this is my natural sketch style. With such short poses, there really isn't any time to do anything but work on instinct.