Saturday, July 10, 2010

Soft Fabrics 2010

I found an old sketch/design of my mom's from a newspaper clipping from a Philippine newspaper, the Manila Bulletin, from April 24, 1974 - just over 36 years ago! It featured two pleated shirtwaist dresses (a favorite of my mom's). I thought I'd reinterpret it for 2010. The sketch itself wasn't by my mom, (whose name, as you may have guessed, was Baby, a very common nickname in the Philippines) but the design was. Mom never really drew full figures, but had illustrators render her quick sketches as fully-illustrated models. She claimed she knew how to draw but I never saw her really do anything but quick scratchy sketches. Anyhow, this one was a favorite of mine, as I loved the hairdo back when I was 9, and I tried desperately to recreate it and draw it in my own sketches (I still have the original attempts too - such a little queen). I think this one was by her illustrator Sony (sp), who was one of two who drew for mom, and whose style I didn't love as much as mom's other illustrator Trining. I later did my mom's sketches for her when I was in my late teens and early twenties, as did my friend Joanne.

This is just the inital sketch, but I'm not sold on my redesign just yet so, I'll definitely be retooling it over the next few days.

No comments: