Thursday, June 9, 2011

Negative Inspiration

I can't believe I actually picked up pencil and paper and am going to try and do a finished piece. I was feeling down because I learned that a job I had been vying for fell through, and I was already feeling a bit despondent this week. But for whatever reason, that disappointment had the effect of inspiring me, and I not only found forward movement on a design project I've been stymied by for months, but I got this image in my head of a piece I should paint in watercolor, just like I used to before I had access to a computer. It amuses me how familiar the process is despite the fact that I haven't bothered to do anything like this (in earnest) in what seems like years. Of course, every mistake I made I had the reflex urge to hit Command Z... and instead reached for the eraser my friend Rima gave me, with the word "Wrong" emblazoned on it. Hmm, maybe someone should make an eraser that has "Command +Z" on it...

1 comment:

Joanie said...

Sorry to hear about the job, but very happy to see you pick up a pencil again. I'm a firm believer that a pencil can change how you feel about a lot of things. It's erasable, it's capable of delicate and harsh shading, and you can pour your heart out with it. Truly one of the greatest creative implements ever created.