Saturday, April 13, 2013

Carving Out A Face

I was never taught how to formally do anatomy, whether in school or in my personal training. I never learned how to construct a human figure with the skeleton as the framework to build a form on - I always drew from the outside contour because that's all I see. So it's taken me a LONG time to get where I am today, and I'm still not great at fleshing out a face. I only just learned how to do a 3/4 view mouth corner a few years ago because of this blog, but when I start drawing features, it's hard for me to know exactly where a cheekbone rests in relation to the nose I just laid out. I just have to keep fiddling with the features as I build them in. I kept thinking of abandoning this doodle at various stages, because I didn't know how to draw it!  But I persisted, and it's a bit better than I expected, although I'm sure if I looked at it again after some time, I'll see horrors I'll need to correct!

No comments: