Sunday, March 18, 2007

Missed another day

Dammit. I'm really socializing too much, to the detriment of my work. I'll have to double up today then.

I used to design menswear back in Manila, but that was a lifetime ago. It's been over 20 years, and while I shop a lot and know what I like, it seems to be a different part of my brain that designs versus the part that knows what I want to wear.

I love a white shirt with a twist, and I'm still thinking about how to resolve the gathered waist-back idea I had a few posts ago. A menswear designer friend at the gym suggested I add tabs to resolve the back detail, and once I put that in, it was tab and button details all over the place. I suppose in white these will just be interesting but inconspicuous until inspected, but in a drawing it just looks to overdone. Is it just me? I know I love a detailed pattern, but maybe I'm looking at this as a drawing? (and thinking, is this too banana rep? That's so not me. I could barely make the guy look hip enough). Guess this is where extended - and recent - experience would be important.

I love the buttoned-down shoulder pleat detail. It's like an epaulet but not.

No comments: