Monday, April 16, 2007

Hairdo

This piece came into being from four influences that I can see: my Manel (I know that profile/expression and nose came from there, I've spent so much time looking at it, it's definitely influenced by it even if I did not outright copy it), an image used by a club back in the 90s (from a 60s hairspray product); how they used to draw hair on the old Tiffany Jones strip; and a hairdo that I liked but didn't feel was fully resolved on Bravo's new tv show, Shear Genius. I'm so gay.

Plus, I wanted to do something refined after all the fat canaries.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

yes, i used to LOVE tiffany jones!

Anonymous said...

I loved the canaries and I love this. I continue to follow in awe!

George G said...

Jo: I used to dream of the day I would be able to draw like Pat Butterworth, the artist on Tiffany Jones! It's funny, one day I realized I can draw like a lot of my idols, and it was just a matter of ...oh, 40 years of experience?!?! If you told me it would take that long, I might have slashed my wrists.... again!

Ben: the next curls I should draw should be yours! ;)

lucidiocy said...

Oooh, pretty.

I want my hair to look like that, but every time I got an updo it ended up looking like a brown shellaced helmut.

Maybe you could whip up a Hairdo- Superhero, for me.

~Tamar

George G said...

"Sybarite"! That was the name of the 90s party, in Soho, that had a hairdo image as their logo! Agh, I was thinking it was some complicated word, but back then, that word was so new to me....