Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Night Visions

I started out just drawing a face, a man's face, and it started morphing into a woman's. I think the features were informed by the angle, and the angle affected how I drew the features. I wasn't too pleased with the result. So I thought of adding in the things I see at night.

This is going to sound strange, but I see things at night. Any night. As long as the lighting is dim in my room (like maybe just the ambient light from the street), I can see waves of body heat emanating from my flesh and the sheets like heat rising out of a road on a hot day. I can bring up my hand and look at it in the dark and see an aura of heat flowing out of it like some transparent mini-rendition of the sun's plasma. And most nights, if I don't focus on any object in the dark room, other things come into view.

They look like paramecia, or plankton, or blobs of jelly. But they swim in the air all around me, like schools of fish, with surprising speed. Transparent and vast in numbers, I wondered if they might be floaters, or maybe cells that were pulled into the lenses of my eyes by gravity, because I often sleep on my stomach. Then, when I turn over and open my eyes, gravity takes hold of them and they flow to the back of my head, which would account for the 'swimming' action, as they usually seem to 'swim' towards me. Except one time I raised my hand into the air, to try and 'touch' these things, and they swirled all around my arm, as if attracted to it.

I had my eyes checked to see if it was something physical, but the doctor said I was fine and it's all in my head.