Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Runway


It's time for the menswear shows in Europe, and true to form for Spring, Dolce showed many a model in skimpy swimwear. Mancandy factor aside, it seems the pendulum may be shifting again to a fuller, more muscular physique, away from the Dior Homme waifs of recent years. What this means for me is more definition to draw on (literally), and a great op to make a study for a walk stance. I've always loved a good rendition of a walk cycle, ever since Paul Smith showed me the exacting simplicity of an effective walk pose. It's hard to get it to look effortless and anatomically correct, especially with comics, as there's a tendency to draw the muscles in such a way that they look stiff and unmoving. I loved a shot from the Dolce runway and decided to do a sketch of it, because the line in the model's legs was so fluid, it was almost lyrical. I don't know if I captured it properly, but it doesn't hurt to practice.

3 comments:

lucidiocy said...

If I saw him walking toward me, I'd faint dead away. You've done a beautiful job defining muscle motion.

I love Dolce's eyewear and especially their ads, they're so racy we can't even put up the p.o.p.s in our office, talk about EYE candy:

all confection and sex.

George G said...

I think now I made the legs too long, but that's the fashion part of me talking. Or maybe I have it from the view of me on my hands and knees. Heh.

If you have any spare Dolce POPs hanging around, send them my way!

Unknown said...

the legs look fine to me...