Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Robbed

Went to the Queer Man's drawing salon again because my friend Rob was posing tonight. Rob is an amazing model - not only do his proportions and build make him a joy to draw, but he also really gives it 100% and more - he holds a pose better than anyone else I know, and he really gets into the spirit of the sessions. Here are a few of the sketches from tonight, including my fave, which almost looks like he's seated on a surfboard, looking out for an incoming wave...

I think I've learned to just go with my linework, and draw. People at the salon have commented on my use of ballpoint pen as a medium - for some it's too controlled, for others it's confident, because there's no erasing a ballpoint line. I think working on the computer and believing that you can hit 'undo' has allowed me to just put lines down without fear, despite the fact that in natural media, there is no "Command Z" to step backward in your work. When I draw at these workshops, I just like to draw for drawing's sake, and not worry about creating pieces. Much like this blog.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! i love the rob drawings. you're right, he's got a great body! i wish i could sit in the queer man sessions even if i'm not a queer man. i miss joya's figure sketching class we used to sit-in. i also found sketches from that.

George G said...

Thanks, Jo. Actually, there are several places where you can come in and draw from the figure here in NY. Oj actually went to one of the sessions, even if I didn't join him - he said he had fun drawing again!

I wish I kept some of my nudes from those days - I'd love to compare my styles and see how the different (or not)my work is from then.

Anonymous said...

hmm... if im not mistaken i think i saw a couple. but let me check. i know i have the on-the- spot drawing plate which we did at philcoa. remember, we both drew a naked woman waiting for a jeep. she had a shoulder bag and we drew her in the exact same pose but in different angles. hehe.

David Berube BerubeArt said...

Hey George
Especially love the first and last image.
I've always admired artists with a natural talent for figure drawing.
Not my greatest strength.