Sunday, April 29, 2012

Male Physique Model Sketching



Instructor Steven B. holds a regular Sunday night salon at F.I.T., that sometimes features fashion models, other times male physique models, and other times still, a combination of both. It's basically up to you what you decide to draw, he provides the space, the models, and the art direction. I'd been doing a lot of fashion illustration lately and felt like doing something less flow-y, so I went earlier this evening. Two really fun-to-draw male models with two completely different looks.



 



I spoke earlier with my old friend Senen about my tendency to just render, and not do finished pieces. Granted, I do have a few finished pieces here on my blog, but I suppose in relation to the sheer quantity of work I have here, it doesn't seem that much... especially since a lot of them are digital exercises that I don't necessarily labor over and reeeally clean up the details. I reasoned that as an art director, I may have compartmentalized my sensibilities, keeping design on the work side and just pure illustration on the other. So tonight, I made a conscious effort not only try and render as much as possible but to lay out the drawings in a way that each sheet could be deemed a finished piece. I think, all things considered, I got a few nice pieces out of it.


Sans scanner, I will upload more pics when I can take clear photos tomorrow during the day, but for now he's a shot of my fave of the evening, of male model Omar.
edit: updated with all the drawings from the evening.

2 comments:

Joanie said...

#10 with them embracing made me cry. I love it! If I had the money, I would so buy that for my friends (and a copy for myself)

George G said...

Aww, really Joannie? That's so sweet. Thank you!