Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Phoenix

I was angry today. Angry with myself, for unloading my personal baggage on a new friend - much to his horror - like some exploding airport carousel catapulting errant Louis Vuittons all over the place. Man, I need to learn to forbear. But the anger is motivating me to do things about my life and recent events, and to hopefully get them right.

When I was younger, I was obsessed with the X-men character Phoenix, and her evil incarnation Dark Phoenix. I used to draw her endlessly. I thought that, with what I was going through, she would make a good subject to let off some steam: draw something I haven't drawn in a looong while, do something angry and powerful to manifest my mood, and do something that I could maybe post on the comic book message boards that I used to frequent. Plus, you know, Phoenix: rebirth and all that.

But I found out something interesting. I drew her exactly the way I used to, with all the same strokes and lines, the same shadows and expressions, but it wasn't working. The old formulas didn't work, the lines weren't right. Everything was as I used to do it, but it wasn't how I wanted to draw anymore. I eventually changed things around a bit and am making it more to my liking. In any case, I left the sketch somewhat raw and unfinished.

Kinda sounds like my life.

No comments: