Friday, May 18, 2007

Instinct


Sometimes it's good just to let go and draw whatever comes your way. I was partially inspired by my friend PJ, who seems to try and sketch anything and everything he sees at any point in the day. For me, the manifestation of that was to create a drawing on a whim, and to follow through without any set idea of what was to come of it, and not to think of perfection or end result. This sketch looks nothing like my style, or what I imagine my style should look, and I think I like it that way.

Then again, judging from the range of different looks on this blog, do I have a discernible style to you? From fashion to comics to cartoons to nudes, it's such a wide, inconsistent range. Is that bad?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's called versatility, darlin, and it's not a bad thing.

Ben

lucidiocy said...

I can't seem to leave a comment on the drawing of Scott, not to say this one isn't nice, but the one of Scott leaves me weak in the knees.

George G said...

Well, that's good, Tamar, because Scott's quite the knee-weakener. And he's straight too!

Unknown said...

yes you do have a style even when you draw cartoons... but then again we've known each other for years so i can tell. its a good thing! btw, wanted to comment on the scott drawing. I LURVVVVES IT!

George G said...

Scott's easy to love - he really looks like that. Plus he's such a nice guy!

And I understand versatility, Ben, although sometimes I wonder if I'm versatile to the point of not being distinctly memorable. You know, as in, just an art whore! ;p But maybe I'm too close to my own work to be able to say that with any real authority, since I'm so particular about my lines.

Joanne, you know what my work is like from way back when, but I also think it's changed quite a bit over the years, As someone whose drawn with me extensively since over 20 years ago (!) does my work look much the same, or has it changed noticeably? I can certainly recognize your lines... although I think your faces have changed a bit. I think my faces have changed a lot...

Unknown said...

of course in 20 years you've gotten better! but the distinctness of your style has remained. its not a bad thing. its a unique thing that's gotten better... :-)