Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Naive


I'm working on a website design study that includes images of proposed editors. For years, I've wanted to use pencil-style drawings of people in a website, reminiscent of tacky stock illustrations from the 60s and 70s. As a post-modern motif it's way past its freshness date now since so many sites and magazines are using it - I remember trying to get Rafe to have one as his portrait two years ago but all he could see was that it wasn't a perfect portrait (which was the whole point). In any case, I thought I'd try one as a way to show the technique. I basically traced a photo without paying too much attention, because otherwise my work looks too studied. I don't even know if this qualifies as a drawing since I traced it, but I suppose deciding how much linework to do (or not to do, as the case may be) is part of the drawing skills. So here it is: some unidentified stock photo woman drawn in a quick, retro-naive style.

Ooh, I just noticed - she's such a lesbian! I drew her wearing a man's shirt...!

1 comment:

vanishingword said...

Can you draw how you feel about your first love?