Sunday, August 8, 2010

T Minus Lo, Part Next

I'm really liking how this drawing is turning out - it's a nice combination of clean lines and my digital painting techniques. It's a bit more like the artists that I admire, but still with my own line energy. It's a weird aspirational thing to want to draw like other people, even if I do like my own style. But I've always wanted to be clean and spare, like Mucha or Nagel. Must be the comic book aesthetic that I've loved so much for so long.

Anyhow, I took my time with this, but it's one of the few times I really labored over maintaining a technique I'm not doing naturally. It's developing a technique, I suppose. I just hope that when I reduce the lines I don't reduce the enrgy of the piece, which happens more often than not when I overly refine my work...

If you scroll down a few entries, you'll see two initial stages of this drawing to compare where it started and where it's going.

1 comment:

Joanie said...

I'm a major Mucha fan and I can see how the shading and sparseness of your work fit with that aesthetic. (His four seasons panels are amongst my favorites, although I also love Princess Hyacinth, Dance, La Primevere, Morning Star, and The Moon. Oh hell, who am I kidding? Most of his work takes my breath away. His paintings? SWOON!

Okay, I know. Shh.

I gotta tell you, I'm very lucky because I grew up with a mother who collected art pieces and Mucha was held in high esteem. I fell in love with him early on. Same with Parrish, but that's a story for a different day.

Good work! I'm really enjoying watching the progress of TLo