Monday, August 9, 2010

TLo 2010

Aaand we move on to the Lo part of this duo. My reference photos aren't the best, but half the fun is stylizing things to the point that I like it as a drawing, not just as a portrait likeness. Lotsa work still to go, but quite a bit of progress, considering that I haven't touched the left figure since I started this sketch waaay back in June of 2008!

This is nowhere near finished, but damn, right now it's reminding me of Stephane Manel's work! Ugh, I hope when I put in the final touches that I think will make it more mine, they won't look like I was trying to knock off his style, because I'm definitely not trying to... it's really a variation on comic book painting. But the combination of black linework with the fuller interior coloring is definitely a hallmark of Manel's style. Ugh, I feel like a hack.

In case anyone's wondering, those color bubbles near their faces are hues I sample when painting on their skin, not a design detail. :)