Sunday, July 1, 2007

Uncertain



There are so many things that I know how to draw better now more than ever. Upshots, however, aren't one of them...at least, not to my satisfaction. There's so much trying to figure things out. It's times that I attempt to draw one (like this one) that I regret my training never really included formal anatomical understanding of where the bones/skulls affect how the figure will be seen from various views. They never really taught us that at the University of the Philippines College of Fine Arts. Actually, they never really taught us much of anatomy, period. I remember having nude drawings sessions, but never specific exercises on how to draw - they just left us in a room with a naked model and that was it. And when I try desperately to try and make an upshot like this seem natural, I feel my lack of training coming to haunt me. I often have to try and force a face into the position, instead of drawing a face that just happens to be in that position, knowing where all the lines and shadows should sit, how much the features should be foreshortened, etc, etc...

I guess it's never too late to formally learn... but where? And how?

No comments: