Thursday, July 26, 2007

New Nudes

I went to the Drawing Salon in Soho again because my favorite model Rob was posing. I've had so many sketches of him and had him pose for a few of my own concepts, and he's always such a great model. It took me a while to warm up tonight, though. But I started to like what I was doing more by the 4th or 5th sketches. These are a few of the lot from this evening. They're all 20 minute poses (although done in less, usually - don't want to overwork the sketch) that I did on cardstock found in my printer's recycling bin, with a ballpoint pen (so, no erasing... and lots of errant lines).
I like how my linestyle has developed in the years, and it's definitely something I recognize from my youth as a style I loved: the linework of Edward Sorel comes to mind. But I often wonder to myself: am I really an artist? Or is the word "illustrator" more appropriate? Is there a difference between the two?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The simplest distinction dividing artist from illustrator is that an illustrator draws to order, while the artist follows his muse. By that definition, there's no question you're an artist.

George G said...

Thank you Tim, whoever you might be.... you've made my day. I hope to see you more here on my blog(s).