Thursday, April 1, 2010

Back to Form 2

final version of the evening
I did two versions of the drawing I started yesterday, based on an image I saw in my head after leaving the magazine stand tonight. But there was something wrong with the way the head was tilted in the original (below) so I cut and pasted it (leaving the blank space from my lasso cut) and lowered the entire face. I feel it looks better, but I didn't draw the facial position from any reference, so I'm iffy about it. I tried to base the pose on some references I found in an anatomy book, but merging two stances to get this particular stance didn't prove too satisfying - I still feel like there's something wrong.

edit: I took an hour off and looked at it again, and realized I spent so much time trying to use the reference, I didn't add my own aesthetic point of view into it. So realizing that the more realistic shaping made her look like a feminine man from behind, I cleaned out some lines, carved out her silhouette more and removed the right elbow altogether, to really emphasize the S curve. I think she looks much more feminine and less like some queen in drag in the above pic. You can compare the 'realistic' details that didn't really read as well below.

initial version of the evening
Ah well, at least I'm practicing. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yes i totally agree!

George G said...

You totally agree that the drawing sucked? or that at least I'm practicing? or that my women look like drag queens?

Unknown said...

that the second drawing looks better than the first drawing that looked like a drag queen... :-)