Friday, April 23, 2010

Stavrinos

I pulled up last night's sketch, and thought about revisiting the style of George Stavrinos, who was one of my idols growing up. Stavrinos died of AIDS I believe, a tragic loss to our fashion illustration community, one of my three illustration idols who died too early in their careers (Antonio Lopez and Patrick Nagel were the others). It seems like barely anyone knows about Stavrinos anymore, but my friend Greg and I remember his amazing drawings that graced the advertising of Bergdorf Goodman back in the mid to late 80s. A few years ago I searched out his work and was able to find one book on it. As I tried to remember his style and attempt his technique on a sketch, I got overwhelmed with sadness. Talent like his has been unseen since, and it's such a loss. And to think that so few people remember him, just really made me sad. He had such an effect on me growing up, just by the sheer beauty of his work.

Maybe few people remember him, but I suppose it's good that at least, I do.

No comments: